Thursday, January 20, 2011

Shepard Fairey - Obey to be Better!


After my last post on self-immolation and street art, I saw this video of Shepard Fairey. What a respectable man. Street art with social/political meaning has the potential to play such a crucial role in enlightening the every-day man and catalyzing mass change. Admittedly, it was not love-at-first-sight thing when I first saw Fairey's stuff. He is undoubtedly talented but it was simply a matter of personal preference. That's the beauty of art though, it touches everyone in a different way. But the more of Fairey's work I see, the more I learn about what his intentions are, and the more I see him grow as an artist, the more respect I gain for him and his work. Plus there's nothing more sexy than a man who can maintain an intelligent conversation. He is unquestionably intelligent and inspiring.

Was going to do a black and white stencil of Aung San Suu Kyi with her quote 'Use your freedom to fight for ours' but Fairey beat me to it, and did it ten times better:

Shepard Fairey portraits Aung San Suu Kyi

Coincidentally I also learned about Aung San Suu Kyi and the military junta in Burma in the same class that I learned about the self immolations in my last post.




Watch the video too:


Shepard Fairey - Obey to be Better! from Gestalten on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow aphra_fiera on Twitter